AMERICAN RED CROSS TRAINING AND CERTIFICATION
Build confidence, save a life! Become a certified Lifeguard and become a part of the team!
The YMCA Cape Cod is committed to making our coastal communities safer and better. We offer a wide variety of classes including: CPR, First Aid, AED, Lifeguard Training and Babysitter’s Training.
LOOKING FOR LIFEGUARDING CLASSES?
We offer both traditional certification courses as well as Blended Learning web-based/in-classroom style courses. Blended Learning combines online learning with in-person skills sessions conducted by a Red Cross certified instructor. The blended learning online sessions offer students a variety of elements to learn program content including videos, lesson narration and special interactive features. This allows for individualized, self-paced learning. Once the online session has been successfully completed, students practice skills and are assessed by the instructor during the in-person skills sessions.
- To register in person, please visit the YMCA Cape Cod Welcome Center
The course provides entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide professional-level care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
UPCOMING LIFEGUARDING CLASSES
May 18- June 6
Mondays & Wednesdays
Registration Closes 5/18/22
Registration Closes 6/4/22
Blended Learning: June 23-25
Thursday – Saturday
Registration Closes 6/21/22
THE NEXT LIFEGUARD TRAINING COURSES WILL BE:
DECEMBER SCHOOL VACATION 2022
FEBRUARY VACATION 2023
APRIL VACATION 2023
please email firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 508-362-6500.
- Participants in the Lifeguard Training course will be provided with all equipment including access to an electronic version of the textbook and an adult and pedi-pocket masks to keep.
- Participants in the Lifeguard Training Review course must provide their own adult and pedi- pocket masks.
- Upon successful class completion, includes a 2-year certification CPR/AED and First Aid
- Participants must be 15 years of age on or before the last scheduled session of the course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards without goggles. Surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Attend all class sessions.
Lifeguard Training: $350 Member / $400 Non-member
Lifeguard Training Review: $200
BABYSITTER TRAINING – coming soon
The Y’s babysitter’s training course is an up-to-date and well-rounded youth development program with a medical basis. The course equips teens with the tools needed to stay home alone safely and with confidence.
The course teaches participants ages 10-15 how to safely care for infants through school-age children. Participants will learn how to perform tasks such as diapering, preparing simple meals and dressing. The curriculum includes ideas and tools to create a resume, develop leadership skills and build a babysitting business through safe channels. Participants will discuss safe and age-appropriate games to play with children, and learn how to respond to emergencies. Participants will receive a copy of the Red Cross Babysitter’s Handbook for ongoing reference.
$80 Member / $100 Non-member
Registration Note: Please register with the participants name and email address. If a participant has an American Red Cross student account already, please be sure to use the corresponding email for that account in registration.